HealthLeaders Media published a survey of 792 healthcare leaders to gain their insights into concerns and opportunities for 2014. As expected, the majority of leaders are concerned with flat to declining reimbursement and, a distant second, consolidation. To counteract these issues leadership is most focused on cost reductions and hospital-physician relationships. I have outlined a summary of these results as they relate to Orthopedics, below.
1. What is the largest threat to your organization?
a. Reimbursement: 91%
b. Industry consolidation: 37%
2. What is your largest opportunity?
a. Clinical care continuum relations: 89%
3. What is your greatest challenge?
a. Monitoring quality along care continuum: 27%
4. What are the top areas organizations must improve to reach financial targets?
a. Physician-hospital alignment: 41% (53+% for hospitals and health systems)
b. Cost reduction: 41% (50% health systems named top concern)
5. List the top three areas the organization will focus on to control costs
a. Process improvement: 81%
b. Labor efficiencies: 67%
c. Supply chain efficiencies: 53%
6. How will your organization find financial growth over the next five years?
a. Expand outpatient services: 60%
b. Strategic marketing campaign for existing market: 59%
c. Strategic marketing campaign for new market: 41%
7. Where will your organization increase investment over next three years?
a. Patient experience improvements: 62%
b. Data analytic2: 54%
Do you agree with this survey or do you have a different idea of threats and opportunities for your business? Feel free to respond.
Accelero has been addressing these very issues for over 15 years, adding processes to reduce the overall cost of care, adding efficiency, bringing hospitals and physicians together with common goals, improving patient satisfaction and strategic target marketing. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com for more information.