Joe Tomaro, PhD
Joe oversees all business development and operational aspects. He has been with the company since its inception in 1998, joining as a regional director. He has worked with over 100 hospital partners and oversaw partnerships that showed significant improvements in joint replacement care coordination and cost savings, sports medicine program enhancements, and outpatient rehabilitation volume growth and margin improvements. In 2006, Joe’s role expanded to lead the strategic analysis components of Accelero Health Partner’s services.
- Performed analyses and made strategic recommendations for implementation of musculoskeletal programs in over 100 hospitals in the United States and abroad.
- Involved in the product development component at Accelero taking his knowledge of what he discovers during the assessment phase and customizing the right solution based upon the needs of the hospital and surgeon customers.
- Developed and managed a hospital-based sports medicine program representing over 7,000 athletes from 23 school districts and a university.
- Implemented changes in a 150 bed hospital partner that resulted in joint replacement case growth, outpatient surgery case growth, joint replacement margin improvement due to length of stay and supply chain management, and outpatient rehabilitation volume and margin improvement. The total contribution margin increase for these one year improvements was over $1.9 million.
- Faculty/presenter for numerous national conferences speaking on healthcare industry trends and the impact on the musculoskeletal service line.
Prior to joining Accelero, Joe practiced physical therapy extensively in the areas of orthopaedics and sports medicine. In addition to patient treatment, Joe’s responsibilities included administration of clinical development and programming for all disciplines of rehabilitation and sports medicine in a regional health care system in Pittsburgh. During that time, Joe had numerous journal publications and book chapters in the area of foot and ankle biomechanics. Joe was an adjunct faculty member at the Rangos School of Health Sciences at Duquesne University from 1993–2002. His responsibilities included being the primary instructor for Kinesiology and Biomechanics, Evaluation and Treatment of the Lower Extremity, and Physical Therapy Management and Leadership courses.
Vice President of Operations
Michelle oversees all of Accelero’s partner implementation programs. Michelle has worked with over 150 hospitals including large integrated delivery networks and community hospitals to drive physician alignment, clinical transformation, and a differentiated care experience while reducing costs.
- Clinical outcomes assessment and improvement strategies.
- Joint center programmatic improvement, variability reduction and margin enhancement.
- Creating high performance teams to support the service line infrastructure.
- Directing consumer and the referral source integration strategies to grow volume and move market share.
- Application of industry trends to advance the musculoskeletal service line to meet the demands of healthcare reform.
- Facilitating Joint Commission Disease Specific Certifications (30 hospitals to-date).
- Co-author of patented Service Line Success Factor process and scoring tool.
Michelle worked previously at West Penn Allegheny Health System- Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA. Michelle graduated from Daemen College with a degree in Physical Therapy.